Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Part 2



Chapter 2: The Journal
“Here it is,” I said pointing to the worn journal. My master just nodded slightly in approval and we walked towards the booth. The shopkeeper saw us immediately and recited his business phrase
“Edward’s antiques and oddities- finest antiquities in all of the empire.” My master picked up the book. This shop must not get a lot of business because the shopkeeper could hardly contain his excitement
“That’s an old captain’s journal,” he said.
“How much,” my master grumbled.
Oh, that particular object would cost two denarii,” the shopkeeper said.
“That’s all right, we’ll just have a look-“my master began.
“Alright then, one denarii,” my master didn’t even look up, he had begun reading the book.
“Not interested,” he said. The man was desperate.
“Half a denarii?” he said with a pleading edge in his voice.
“You-you-you can’t look at the book unless you buy it.” The man stammered.
“I don’t want your book.” My master said.
“Oh well then. Too bad for you!” the man called out as my master walked away.
He was obviously upset at not getting any money from us. I thought my master handled the situation well. He flashed me the book from under the cloak.
I was furious. He’d stolen the book! But when I looked back it was still there.
“How-“I began, “Duplication spell,” my master said. “I made an exact duplicate of the book.” I shook my head. My master always got what he wanted. Even if it meant risking our cover from the empire. Even though magic was now legal, people still thought of it as the devil’s work and if you were uncovered as a mage, you would be treated unfairly and hatefully.
            Once we were back at the house I began to look at the book in my room. I skimmed through until one page caught my eye. Isabelle Castellus. My mom. Baelin must’ve died when my mom was young because the book referred to her as “my sweet Isabelle” or “little Isabelle”. That meant he was my grandfather. The journal said that Baelin’s final moments were on Mt. Havok. The mountainous barrier between the Empires territory and the savage land of Iron forge. I wanted to go there but my master most definitely wouldn’t let me. We had business to deal with here. But I had to go. I felt like I would find something there. I didn’t know what. So I gave asking a shot. “What? Mt. Havok? Why?” my master said. “Because…I feel like…I’ll find something there. Something significant to my training.” I said. “Well lad, we have plenty of things to take care of here.” I knew that meant no but I pleaded on “Master I’m sure it will be worth our time,” I began, “No Siris, we must continue your training.” My master had called me by my name for the first time ever. I knew he meant no. I stomped off to my room where I sat on my bed and thought about what to do. Then the idea came to me to sneak off without my master. It was risky but it had to be done. Mt. Havok was a four day journey. I snuck down stairs and into the pantry to get food for the journey. I grabbed some crumbly cheese, salted ham, and bread along with a few tomatoes and apples. Then I got my wand and cloak and set off.
            About an hour in to my walk I stopped at a stream to drink. The water was fresh, cold and delicious. It was a crisp fall day. The birds were singing their last goodbyes to their home as they were about to set off south for the winter. The trees had turned beautiful shades of red, yellow and orange. I was admiring the landscape when a chill went down my back. A sign that danger was nearby. I spun around, my staff in the defensive position. I squinted my eyes, looking around ready for an attack. I couldn’t imagine danger in this part of the country though. Danger usually kept away from the major cities like Oakwinden which I was still fairly close to. In the distance, I saw an old woman walking slowly on the path. In fact, she wasn’t walking at all. As soon as I saw her my sense of danger melted away. I approached her and said “hello there!” No response. The woman just stood in the path. At this distance she seemed to be wearing a black dress and pointy shoes, but as I got closer things seemed to change. Her shoulders where dropping up and down as if she was crying. “Is there a problem, Ma’am?” I asked, as I got even closer. She still didn’t hear me.  I put my hand on her shoulder so she would know I was there. But then she turned around. She was no helpless old lady. Her eyes were full of hatred and malice, red in color, her hair was unkempt and white, she had a huge evil grin on her face, and her teeth were yellow and black. It was all over in a second, when she grabbed me with her mud caked hands, raking me across the face. She was surprisingly strong, despite her old age. She muttered something under her breath and suddenly I went limp. I couldn’t move a finger. I was helplessly being dragged down the path, and then my eyes slowly closed. All sound was drained out, all feeling was gone, and I fell asleep.         
                                                 

 



      
     





No comments:

Post a Comment